Saturday, July 17, 2010

Hypoglycemia

Ok, so I have had hypoglycemia for a while now.  I was diagnosed when I was in high school and I've been dealing with it ever since.

If you've read my blog, you know that I've got a tentative surgery date to revise from lap band to Roux en Y on 4 Aug (yayyyyy 2 weeks!) and I'm really excited, but I've got a few worries about it as well.

I've read around about gastric bypass, and I'm a little worried because there are some people who develop reactive hypoglycemia after their surgery.  Should I be worried?  I mean I check my blood glucose regularly and I've been able to keep it under control with changing certain things about my diet and the things I eat, but I don't know what will happen with the RnY.

With the lap band, my hypoglycemia got a lot worse at first because I started not being able to eat many things on random days - which is also why I'm getting a revision.  I can't get all the nutrition in that I need to because on some days, the lap band doesn't let me get anything down, no matter how much I've had it adjusted over the past year and a half.  This is also why I've had to try to change what I'm doing - many times to no avail - in order to keep my hypoglycemia in check.

One of the other things I've heard from some of the forums I've been on say that even though the lap band may not have allowed me to eat certain things at all, the VSG or RnY WILL allow me to eat what I need to, so maybe I won't have to worry about the hypoglycemia getting worse?  I don't know.

If anyone has any suggestions or advice, definitely tell me, but as usual, I'll keep you updated!

0 comments:

Post a Comment