Wednesday, July 7, 2010

I've been thinking.

So, I was really beginning to think about things I was eating with the lap band, so that when I have my revision to sleeve or gastric bypass I could really change some things. Here are some of the reasons why I don't think the band worked for me:

1. My surgeon's nutritionist didn't give me an outline of what I was supposed to eat. Like, at all, during the whole time I've gone through this process. At the beginning, he gave me vague ideas about what to eat during my liquids and mushies phase, and I kind of understand that because liquids are pretty self explanatory. As for mushies, he never told me what was considered mushy and what things were off limits. He told me that I needed to figure out what I could eat by testing them and seeing if my band would let me have them.

...........does that seem backwards to anyone else?? You're supposed to NOT push the band; at that point it doesn' t become a tool for weight loss, it becomes a game of whether you can eat this or that and how much you can get away with.

When I was able to eat real foods again, he did the same things and told me to see what I could eat by pushing the band and seeing what I could withstand. He also never told me any foods to stay away from. I know that staying away from fatty foods was a good policy, but never once did he give me even a plan of action about what to eat. I mean I know this is my journey and I have to figure things out for myself, but aren't nutritionists supposed to guide you through? With WLS, aren't they supposed to try to give you meal plans or ideas for meal plans? I never got any of that.

2. From the beginning, when I didn't lose a lot for my first weigh in, I could feel that my nutritionist didn't think I was going to do well. He thought that I had slacked in losing weight. It was my FIRST weigh in! How do you slack right after surgery when you really cannot eat anything and you cannot exercise? His non faith in me just carried over into my feelings about myself and I didn't think I'd do well from the beginning.

3. After I stopped losing weight after the 3rd month or so, my nutritionist still didn't give me any meal plan ideas, he just told me that I needed to keep my protein intake at around 70-80 grams per day. But never any ideas about what to get protein from.


I'm hoping that this new doctor will give me the tools I need to succeed and not just leave me hanging after getting my money from surgery.

0 comments:

Post a Comment